Sutherland is "railway town" created around a division point on the CPR line from Regina to Edmonton. Although it joined the City of Saskatoon in 1956, it still retains its small town feel. Sutherland is also home to the historic Forestry Farm Park and Saskatoon Zoo.

STOP 38: CPR Yards and Roundhouse
Central Avenue and 112 th Street
From Trains come Towns






   

The Canadian Pacific Railway (CPR) branch line between Regina and Edmonton reached Saskatoon in 1907. The CPR chose an area on the east bank of the river, three miles from the city, to build its station and rail yards. Once the rail facilities were in place various merchants and other entrepreneurs descended on the new community. By the spring of 1909, Sutherland had a population of 102, with more than half of the residents being connected to the CPR in some way. The community attained town status in 1912 and amalgamated with the City of Saskatoon in 1956. The CPR yards and "roundhouse" are still found east of Central Avenue .

The first settler in the new townsite of Sutherland was Nelson Emery, a CPR timekeeper, storekeeper, and building inspector.

   

Information provided courtesy of the City of Saskatoon Municipal Heritage Advisory Committee.